Shooters in South Mississippi have a new place to practice their skills and sharpen their aim, thanks to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.
The agency’s new McHenry Shooting Range near Perkinston opened on May 30, and it includes a lot of options:
• Pistol Range: 20 shooting lanes with ranges from 5, 10 and 20 yards. Shooters will utilize target stands and frames provided by McHenry Shooting Range.
• Rifle Ranges: Two ranges with 10 shooting tables per range. MDWFP provides movable target stands allowing shooters to engage targets out to 170 yards.
• Skeet and Trap: Three Olympic-style skeet ranges and one trap range are located on the premises for shooters to hone their shooting abilities throughout the year.
• 5 Stand: The 5 Stand is built on a pier overlooking a small lake surrounded by sporting clay throwers. Actual hunting conditions will ready hunters for hunting season or just test skills.
• Archery: Two archery ranges utilizing both known-distance sighting-in targets and 3D animal targets at unknown distances.
Mississippi residents may purchase annual range permits for $40 each or may pay the daily fee of $5.50 per hour.
McHenry Shooting Range is located at 1060 E. McHenry Rd, Perkinston, MS 39573.