It is vital that every safety precaution be set in place while fishing at night:
• PFDs (personal flotation devices) should be worn at all times.
• Go slow. Underwater obstacles can cause a boat to overturn even at a modest speed.
• Have onboard — and use — a spotlight to illuminate the water ahead of the craft.
• Avoid the use of alcohol. If night fishing after a day’s activity, fatigue can set in quickly, affecting response time and judgement.
• Don’t go alone. Take along an adult buddy who is capable of assisting you in case of an emergency.
• Leave a travel plan with someone responsible, should emergency personnel have to search for you.