Safety is paramount when night fishing for any species of fish. Many of these points may seem mundane, but each bears repeating.
- File a trip plan. Let someone know where you plan to be fishing.
- Wear a PFD all the time.
- Insure that the boat’s navigation and mooring lights work properly.
- Have a dependable flashlight, or flood light within reach.
- Use a headband or hat-mounted light for tying or retying baits and removing fish.
- Take along a buddy. Don’t fish at night alone.
- Slow as you go. Logs, stumps and rebar are plentiful. Always use a bright floodlight when navigating outside the channel.