The Mississippi Legislature convened in early January, and in the first week, only five bills involving hunting and/or fishing had been filed, all in the Senate.
- S.B. 2035: to allow air guns, air bows and pre-charged pneumatic weapons and authorize special seasons for CWD sample collection.
- S.B. 2036: to allow the use of electronically amplified sound devices in deer hunting.
- S.B. 2073: to require metallic tags to be affixed to the ear of a wild hog being transported.
- S.B. 2074: require additional regulation of freshwater fishing guides by the Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.
- S.B. 2095: to include the manager or member of LLC owning land within the exemption from hunting/fishing licenses (while hunting on those lands).
Jan. 18 is the deadline for original introduction of general bills. The deadline for committee action on those bills will be Feb. 2, and the deadline for floor action on original bills by the full House or Senate is Feb. 11.
JOIN THE CLUB, get unlimited access for $2.99/month
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Mississippi Sportsman Magazine and MS-Sportsman.com.