Features from April 2021
- Mississippi River catfish gang up around these man-made, current-directing structures, making them great fishing holes year-round.
- Turkeys that have been hunted hard present some special problems for Mississippi hunters. Here are a few tips to help you.
- Thee approaching spawn puts speckled trout on the feed, especially around Mississippi Sound’s barrier islands. Don’t miss it.
- Mississippi features plenty of high ground on which hunters can do battle with big toms. Here’s how one hunter tracks them down.
Columns - April 2021
- The health of a bass population in a body of water will be reflected in spawning success. And big fish are the most productive.
- Shallow spawning or prespawn bass can make an angler’s spring day at Pickwick Lake. Use these tactics for largemouth bass.
- Egret Baits’ Wedgetails catch plenty of redfish and flounder, as well as speckled trout, from Corpus Christi, Tex., to Florida’s Panhandle.
- An oven bag and some trimmings — sliced applies, onions, bacon and asparagus — can make even the oldest, toughest turkey taste great.
- The redear sunfish, aka shellcracker, chinquapin or yellow bream, is identified most easily by the colorful edge around it earflap.
- Twitch baits take center stage with Louisiana anglers when April arrives and big speckled trout are on the prowl.
Outdoor Updates - April 2021
- A big pile of fresh fish filets is a whole lot easier to manage with an organized approach to fish cleaning.
- Crappie is the king of gamefish in Mississippi. It shines brightest in April when the dogwoods bloom and crappie spawn.
- Bayou Cumbest and the nearby marshes are great places to catch legal-size redfish in shallow water from the spring to the fall.
- MOJO decoys are made for a tough environment, but taking a little extra care of them can help them last longer and be more dependable.
- Of the more than 20 bills combined presented in the House and Senate committees on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, only two remain alive.
- Mississippi’s mandatory reporting of turkey harvests allows for more precise resource management in the state.
- When the spawn takes place this spring at Ross Barnett Reservoir, anglers will have closer access using the new Goshen South Boat Ramp.
- What do Mississippi anglers feel is the best crappie fishing destination? You can ask five people and get five different answers.
- The Pointe Marina and Grill of Slidell was revamped with a brand new live bait and tackle shop for fishermen.