Features from August 2021
- Mississippi’s artificial reef program has created dozens of fish-attracting structures along its Gulf coast. Here’s how guides approach them.
- A backwoods off-the-grid deer camp can be as comfortable as a little money and a lot of sweat equity can make it.
- Duck Dynasty’s John Godwin knows his stuff when it comes to crappie fishing, and one of his favorite ways to catch them is long-lining.
- The dog days of summer might not seem like the best time to catch a big bass, but certain tactics can spawn some big-fish bites.
Columns - August 2021
- A study by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department biologists provides a first look at whether selective breeding can produce bigger bass.
- Enid Lake, a 6,100-acre lake about 50 miles south of Memphis in Yalobusha County, has plenty of cover and some nice bass.
- What began as a hobby to help Marcus Curry and Levi Louviere catch more bass has turned into a business to help others catch fish.
- Rod Jenkins retired from competition to focus his energy entirely on coaching and transferring his knowledge of the sport to other archers.
- Florida pompano are part of the jack family and are the smallest of pompanos, being dwarfed by African and Cayenne pompanos.
Outdoor Updates - August 2021
- Capt. Donnie Jackson, Jr. hooked a massive, 309.9-pound swordfish on the final day of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Billfish Classic.
- Even though August is usually the hottest month for Mississippi outdoorsmen, there are still a lot of opportunities to catch fish.
- Mississippi has garnered four listings in Bassmaster magazine’s annual top-100 list of the best bass lakes in the nation.
- Controlling Mississippi’s growing wild hog population is a big deal for Jasper County landowner Mark McKenna.
- The MDMR announced that red snapper season will reopen for private recreational anglers and state for-hire vessels on Aug. 13, 2021.
- Mississippi’s 2021-2022 deer seasons have been confirmed by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.
- Allen Shortridge of Meridian uses cameras and attractants to see what’s on his property from late summer through the fall.
Field Notes - August 2021
- Pack a couple of ACE bandages for first aid in your tackle bag, and you’ll be ready for many emergencies without taking up much space.
- Menhaden, aka pogeys, can make an excellent bait choice when chasing speckled trout and other species in coastal waters.
- Wild hogs are giving plenty of Mississippi landowners, hunting camps and farmers problems. Here are some potential solutions.