You’ll find red snapper served in various forms, including baked, broiled, grilled, blackened, and even in soups and gumbos. It is highly valued for its delicious taste, firm texture, and versatility in various dishes. However, I have not come across a dish or recipe for red snapper where it is cured like salmon, also known as lox. Lox is typically served on bagels with cream cheese, onions, capers, and other toppings. It has become a staple of brunch and deli menus around the world. This recipe will remind you of lox in both flavor and texture and is sure to elevate your red snapper!
- 1 Pound of Red Snapper Fillets, Skin Removed
- 3-4 Large Beets
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill
- Zest of 1 Lemon
PREPARATION: Serves 4
- Prepare the red snapper fillets by rinsing under cold water and patting dry. Next, check the fillets for any remaining bones and remove them using tweezers or fish boning pliers.
- Wash and dry the beets, then shred in a food processor or a cheese grater. Make sure to wear gloves if you don’t want your hands to temporarily turn pink.
- In a bowl, combine the shredded beets, sugar, kosher salt, dill, and the lemon zest. Mix the ingredients well to evenly distribute the flavors throughout the beet cure.
- Place half of the beet cure in the bottom of a glass or non-reactive dish, then place your red snapper fillets on top. Spread the remaining beet cure on the top of the fillets.
- Cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator to cure for 24 to 36 hours, depending on the thickness of the red snapper fillets. The thicker fillets will require a longer curing time.
- After the curing time is complete, remove the red snapper fillets from the refrigerator. Rinse off under cold water to remove any excess cure, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Using a sharp knife, such as a fillet knife, thinly slice the red snapper “lox” at a slight angle, starting from the tail end and working your way towards the head.
- Serve the red snapper “lox” on bagels with cream cheese, sliced red onions, capers, tomatoes, and fresh dill for a visually stunning and delicious treat.